Is Shakeolgoy Kosher? Shakeology is not Kosher certified but is Kosher in many respects. Due to the fact that many people have varying practices, we’ve put together an outlined list of the Kosher guidelines in regards to Shakeology so you can deem if Shakeology fits into your Kosher diet.
1. Certain animals may not be eaten at all. This restriction includes the flesh, organs, eggs and milk of the forbidden animals.
Explanation: The only animal product in Shakeology is the whey protein which is derived from cow’s milk. Cows are on the list of permitted animals (because they have cloven hooves).
2. Of the animals that may be eaten, the birds and mammals must be killed in accordance with Jewish law.
Explanation: No birds or mammals are killed for Shakeology.
3. All blood must be drained from meat and poultry or broiled out of it before it is eaten.
Explanation: Not applicable for Shakeology. (no meat in Shakeology)
4. Certain parts of permitted animals may not be eaten.
Explanation: Again, the only animal product is whey protein from cow’s milk, which is not a forbidden part.
5. Fruits and vegetables are permitted, but must be inspected for bugs (which cannot be eaten).
Explanation: All the ingredients for Shakeology are inspected for bugs, microbes, etc. There are no bugs in Shakeology!
6. Meat (the flesh of birds and mammals) cannot be eaten with dairy. Fish, eggs, fruits, vegetables and grains can be eaten with either meat or dairy. (According to some views, fish may not be eaten with meat).
Explanation: There is no meat in Shakeology.
7. Utensils (including pots and pans and other cooking surfaces) that have come into contact with meat may not be used with dairy, and vice versa. Utensils that have come into contact with non-kosher food may not be used with kosher food. This applies only where the contact occurred while the food was hot.
Explanation: There is no meat in Shakeology and the manufacturing facility that makes Shakeology does not process meat, so none of the utensils/manufacturing containers come into contact with meat. In addition, Shakeology is never heated above 115 degrees-since heat destroys the nutrients. Many individual ingredients are air-dried or dried below 115 degrees. The whey-protein is cold-processed and Shakeology is not heated when it is mixed. So again, we do not believe that this is not an issue.
8. Grape products made by non-Jews may not be eaten.
Explanation: The only grape-related product in Shakeology is Grape Seed Extract.